Thursday, April 12, 2012

Groundhog Day Cupcakes!


Groundhog's Day 

Punxsutawney Phil!

 Step 1: The idea 

           After seeing the many cupcakes I had been making, one of my colleagues at school challenged me to come up with a fantastic cupcake worthy of Groundhog Day. I have to admit that I wasn't all that sure about what these would look like myself.  It took a few Google searches to come up with the idea of a the little critter popping out of his den. Much of the ideas suggested included flat face, but I knew I had to go 3-D. After much searching, I found a video from Kitchen Daily that offered a strong contender. It ended up being the Hello, Cupcake people again. I loved their idea, but I wanted to make this one my own. You will notice that there are a few differences in the final design, but the basic layout is the same. 



Step 2. Baking and Decorating

          I started with chocolate cupcakes made from my mom's wacky cake recipe (this one is similar). Then I covered them with chocolate/ peanut butter frosting. This is definitely a family favorite.  The "holes" are made from crushed chocolate cookies (the "fake"oreos). Simply put them in a baggie to crush them up, cut a hole in the corner, and make little piles in the center of each cupcake. Now you are ready to assemble your groundhogs.
          For the body, I decided to go with miniature milkyway bars instead of peanut butter cookies. First of all they taste better, and secondly, they are a better color and shape. All decorations on his face were adhered with extra peanut butter frosting. I added a large chocolate morsel for the nose instead of frosting cheeks. Notice that the natural curl at the top works to make a snout and split for the lip. I also used the same candy eyes that I found at Walmart for my turkeys. The teeth were cut up pieces of marshmallow, as the video suggests. Don't make them too big or they will look like beaver teeth. The ears are mini-reeses pieces. I laid them flat because groundhogs' ears tend to lay close to their heads. Once assembled, you simply press the little critters into the centers of the dirt piles.  

Step 3: Share!

          The staff members were thrilled to receive these tasty little critters. Hands down, these were my favorite to eat because the flavors worked so well together. They were really rich and 
creamy. Who would have thought Groundhog's Day could be so much fun?


I love their little expressions!




Punxsutawney Phil and his pals!

No comments:

Post a Comment