Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Frog Prince for a Birthday Girl!

A Frog Pond Fit For A Princess!
(above) My sister Kate and her two children, Sophia and Alex
My sister loves frogs, so it was an easy decision to make her a frog pond full of possible princes to kiss. It wasn't just about the cupcakes this time; it was also about the presentation. 

Step 1: Baking
I started by baking my mom's famous "wacky cake" recipe, and then I whipped up some buttercream frosting according to the Sprinkle's Bakery recipe.  To get the right color green, you need to use most of the little bottle of food coloring.

Step 2: Decorating
This little guy was a practice, so he has yellow fruit slices instead of green.






Each cupcake was sprinkled with green sugar. Mouths and nostrils were drawn with sparkly green gel. The eyes sit up off of the cupcakes with green fruit slices that are halved, then halved again and adorned with a candy eyeball. The crowns are made with rolled out fruit chews that were cut into points and finished off with edible pearls. 

Step 3: Presentation

I bought special pink water lily wrappers to set the finished cupcakes in. They were in the cake decorating aisle at Walmart, not in the baking aisle with the cooking supplies.


Huddled together on a tupperware cake taker.

When I got to her house, I laid out blue tissue paper on the table and green tissue paper cut into the shape of lily pads. The frogs were then arranged around the table to set the pond theme.
Blue and green tissue paper sets the pond theme.
Frog Prince Pond


To finish off the look, I cut out tiny dragonflies with my sizzix machine and attached them to toothpicks to fly above the frogs. I even made a little sign that said "Have a hoppy birthday" to stick in one. 

Step 4:  Celebration!
It was fun to present Kate with many frog themed gifts adorned with green wrappings! The kids even colored pictures and presented her with their own artwork.

Gifts!  
Plate Presentation

Blowing out the singing candle!

Sophia
Alex
Cavan

Sisterly love!

No comments:

Post a Comment