Friday, April 13, 2012

Valentine's Day Cupcakes

 A Classroom Treat!

  

Step 1: The Idea

Although most of my cupcakes have been pretty time intensive, these were not. My niece Sophia requested some special Valentine's Day cupcakes to bring to school. As I am a teacher, I thought it a good idea to bring in some for my own classroom full of kiddos as well. The key here was simplicity.

Step 2: Supplies

I was able to use all of the same candies that I did for the "love bug" cupcakes: twizzlers, conversation hearts, spiced heart gumdrops, and fancy Valentine sprinkles. I decided to bake simple boxed red velvet cupcakes. Again, I was short on time or I would have tried making one from scratch. The icing was the same cream cheese frosting that I used on the "love bugs" as well. A little bit of red food coloring gave the beautiful pink that you see in the photo above.

Step 3: Assembly

After playing around with a few ideas, I decided on a few basic patterns: cupid's arrow, gumdrop hearts with pink sugar sprinkles, conversation hearts with fancy Valentine sprinkles, and XOXs made out of twizzlers and conversation hearts. The patterns were easily made by cutting up strips of twizzlers and pressing them into the frosting. It was a very easy process and the results were delightful as well as delicious. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment