Sunday, March 25, 2012

Creative Cupcakes

My niece Sophia- age 7
Over the past 6 months or so I have found a new creative outlet in the world of cupcake creations. It all started in November of 2011 with an extra special birthday cake for my niece Sophia. She is the most darling little girl anyone could every meet and shares a special love of anything princess with the rest of the under-10 female population. Awhile back my stepmother bought me a book, "Hello, Cupcake!", which I had been meaning to try out. This book featured an adorable princess pattern complete with little rolled gumdrop dresses and fruit chew crowns. It was a challenge I couldn't back down to. Come to find out, this would be one of the most complicated concoctions in the whole book! But, it was also the spark that would send me on a cupcake making inferno. :-)

November 9, 2011- 12 Dancing Princesses

Image from the book, "Hello, Cupcake!"

You start with one cupcake flipped upside down onto a sugar cookie, and add a mini cupcake flipped on top of it. Frost the whole thing and then drape the rolled out gumdrops cut into a circle over the top (this part takes FOREVER). Add little rolled pink fruit chews as shoes. Make sure to tuck little pretzel sticks under the folds to make arms.
Add a Nilla Wafer head. This is made by piping almond bark in between the two wafers and adding a pretzel for the neck. There are more specific directions in the book.
The rest is mostly piping on details such as two chocolate dots for eyes and curly brown hair, white frosting for a collar and sleeves, adding edible pearls to the shoes and adding a piece of pink chew for the mouth/nose. The crown is made from a rolled out fruit chew that is cut to points and adorned with edible pearls.
I love the little wand candles that I found at Hannaford. I have also seen them at Walmart.

The result was a very happy birthday girl! :-)
My nephew Alex went right for the head.

The girls, Sophia and Mariya

My step-niece Mariya

No comments:

Post a Comment